Install the latest Eclipse on Linux

This article shows you the way to install the latest version of Eclipse on Linux. There are other ways to install Eclipse using scripts to automate the installation. However, I prefer the manual installation method explained in this article so that you know where your files go. Later if you want to remove the Eclipse, it is just two commands as explained at the end of the article.

If you do not have Java in your system, follow this link and install the Java first.

Step 1:
Download the desired version of Eclipse from the official site:

Step 2:
Open the Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and enter the following command to change the directory.
cd /opt

Step 3:
Enter the command given below to extract the Eclipse from ~/Downloads directory. If your downloaded file is in any other directory, replace the last parameter by the actual file path.
sudo tar -xvzf ~/Downloads/eclipse-jee-2019-03-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz

Step 4:
Open another Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and enter the following command to create a shortcut file for eclipse.
gedit eclipse.desktop

Step 5:
In the opened gedit, copy and paste the following text.
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Eclipse
Type=Application
Exec=/opt/eclipse/eclipse
Terminal=false
Icon=/opt/eclipse/icon.xpm
Comment=Integrated Development Environment
NoDisplay=false
Categories=Development;IDE;
Name[en]=Eclipse
Name[en_US]=Eclipse

Step 6:
Save and close the gedit.

Step 7:
Enter the following command in the terminal to install the shortcut.
sudo desktop-file-install eclipse.desktop

Now search for Eclipse in the dashboard and open it.

Upgrade Eclipse

If you have already installed Eclipse using the above method and would like to upgrade the Eclipse to the latest version, just remove the Eclipse from /opt director and follow Steps 1 to 3 from the installation process.
sudo rm -rf /opt/eclipse/eclipse.desktop

Remove Eclipse

Removing the Eclipse installed as described in this article is just two lines of commands.

Step 1:
First, remove the menu entry you created in Step 7.
sudo rm /usr/share/applications/

Step 2:
Delete the /opt/eclipse folder.
sudo rm -rf /opt/eclipse

Next Post »

23 comments

Write comments
Javier Martínez
April 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM delete

How unisntall whit complements?

Zine der
January 10, 2019 at 12:17 AM delete

I have problem about installing eclipse on ubuntu 18.04 ! help me ; please!

January 13, 2019 at 10:27 PM delete

Hi,
Please share the error logs from the above-mentioned log file.

Sky
February 7, 2019 at 2:07 AM delete

Hi, I have got the following error when launching eclipse on ubuntu 18.04.

!SESSION Wed Feb 06 11:01:03 PST 2019 ------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2019-02-06 11:01:03.962
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:471)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:588)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:626)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)

Please help, Thanks.

Sky
February 7, 2019 at 2:33 AM delete

Hi Gobinath,

The link in Step 1 leads to a eclipse-inst-win64 download. Where can I download eclipse-jee-mars-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz for Linux? Thanks.

February 7, 2019 at 4:58 PM delete

Hi,
I've updated the link.

February 7, 2019 at 5:01 PM delete

Hi,

Did you download eclipse-jee-mars-R-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz and installed as described in the article or installed it using any other methods?

It happens if a jar file is missing in the eclipse folder. Please check this Stack Overflow answer for the solution.

February 7, 2019 at 5:06 PM delete

Uninstalling eclipse is easy if you followed this article to install eclipse. Just open a terminal and enter the following commands:

# Remove eclipse folder

sudo rm -rf /opt/eclipse
# Remove the menu entry

sudo rm /usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop

You're done!

Firdaus
February 20, 2019 at 9:35 AM delete

Hi! I got this error when i try to open eclipse.

An error has occurred. See the log file

/home/ahmad/workspace/.metadata/.log.

I was check that folder, and there's nothing

February 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM delete

Hi,

Delete the workspace folder and try to open Eclipse again.
NOTE: If you have any projects in the workspace folder, backup them before deleting the folder.

Adewale Olalekan
March 8, 2019 at 7:08 PM delete

Can this instruction be followed to also install on Linux Mint since Mint is based on Ubuntu?

March 9, 2019 at 3:44 AM delete

Yes you can (I am using LM) but use xed in place of gedit

tonyjames
March 29, 2019 at 1:32 AM delete

why we have so many steps to install eclipse in linux?
In windows we could do it with single mouse click

Adewale Olalekan
March 29, 2019 at 3:01 PM delete

Just curious though. What difference does it make whether I use xed or gedit? They are both text editors.

Adewale Olalekan
March 29, 2019 at 3:20 PM delete

Windows bundle applications into just one executable file and all you have to do is double-click and follow the prompt. Linux was not originally meant to use GUI but to just type commands and hit the enter key. Though Linux distributions also have their bundled executables for applications too but dependencies is usually the problem with Linux applications. One package will depend on another or require a lower version of a package of which you are having a higher version. Linux package managers makes package installations easy if the one you want to install is available from the repository. And Ubuntu is actually having Eclipse in its repository but it is the old version. So you need to go through all that steps to install the latest version from the provider's website. As much as Linux is difficult to use, I still prefer it to Windows. That's just my own preference and not trying to say one is better than the other.

March 29, 2019 at 4:10 PM delete

Hi,
Eclipse is really a portable application (doesn't matter whatever the OS is. years ago when I was a Windows user I did download the zip file and extracted it somewhere and created a desktop shortcut). You can download and extract the file and just start using it. This article helps you to install it for all users and creates a shortcut in the start menu.

Of course Linux supports installers. Most of the times you can install a software using single command (for example Gimp or LibreOffice) because the software creators also provide Linux installers and repositories. In case of Eclipse, the Eclipse foundation does not offer its own repository. So I won't blame Linux. It's the choice the eclipse people made. On the other hand, personally I prefer to install a software manually because it gives more control over what goes where. For example, nowadays Java provides an installer for Linux (deb and rpm) but still I prefer to install it manually.

March 29, 2019 at 4:22 PM delete

Hi,
I was in your place years ago. It was really hard to switch and I missed a lot of applications and features at the beginning but eventually things changed other way around. Now I miss features in Windows. Linux is hard to learn because we are so much used to Windows. It may take time but you will love it (since you're a developer you will be addicted to Linux like me ;-) )

March 29, 2019 at 4:29 PM delete

Few years ago, LM team cloned gedit, renamed it to xed and changed the UI to traditional menu bar because gedit GUI (GTK 3 stuffs) does not play well with rest of the Linux Mint environment.

Nowadays, both are being developed independently by Gnome and LM teams. I recommend xed because in recent LM releases, xed is the default editor. Still you can install gedit but I don't find a reason to do so.

April 1, 2019 at 7:18 AM delete

I agree with you. I even recommend my students to learn a programming language without an IDE (Sublime + Terminal is the best) because it helps them to learn the language. Otherwise, only thing they remember is Ctrl + Space :-) However, schools go with IDEs so we have to go with them.

Adewale Olalekan
April 11, 2019 at 4:03 PM delete

I think it's time for you to update this guide. It's not relevant for the new Eclipse. I just installed Eclipse using an installer script in the package archive. You should check it out.

April 12, 2019 at 5:45 AM delete

Hi,
I am aware of the Eclipse installer but I prefer the manual installation method. However, I will update the article including other ways to install Eclipse.

anon
April 29, 2019 at 3:30 AM delete

Hello, I've been trying to open the eclipse I had downloaded after I closed the window and I cannot find it anywhere now. I followed the directions to the best of my ability but it keeps saying that gedit is not a command, I tried xed too? I'm really confused and need to figure out how to open my already downloaded eclipse...

April 30, 2019 at 7:05 PM delete

Hi,
Which Linux distribution are you using? If you followed Step 2 and 3, you should be able to open Eclipse from the terminal by executing the following command:

/opt/eclipse/eclipse