Install IntelliJ IDEA on Ubuntu

This article shows you the way to install the latest version of IntelliJ IDEA in Ubuntu. If you do not have Java in your system, follow this link and install the Java first.

Step 1:
Download the latest version of IntelliJ IDEA from this link.

Step 2:
Open the Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and enter the following command to change the directory.
cd /opt/

Step 3:
Enter the command given below to extract the IntelliJ IDEA from ~/Downloads directory. If your downloaded file is in any other directory, replace the last parameter by the actual file path.
sudo tar -xvzf ~/Downloads/ideaIU-14.1.2.tar.gz

Step 4:
Open another Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and enter the following command to create a shortcut file for eclipse.
gedit intellij-idea.desktop

Step 5:
In the opened gedit, copy and paste the following text. If your IntelliJ IDEA version is different, according to your version change the Exec location the Icon path.
[Desktop Entry]
Name=IntelliJ IDEA
Type=Application
Exec=/opt/idea-IU-141.713.2/bin/idea.sh
Terminal=false
Icon=/opt/idea-IU-141.713.2/bin/idea.png
Comment=Integrated Development Environment
NoDisplay=false
Categories=Development;IDE;
Name[en]=IntelliJ IDEA
Name[en_US]=IntelliJ IDEA

Step 6:
Save and close the gedit.

Step 7:
Enter the following command in the terminal to install the shortcut.
sudo desktop-file-install intellij-idea.desktop

Now search for 'IntelliJ IDEA' in the dashboard and open it.

Update:
To enable Global Menu for IntelliJ IDEA, see this article: Global Menu Support for Java Applications in Ubuntu
Next Post »

7 comments

Write comments
Pranavan Theivendiram
AUTHOR
June 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM delete

Hi. Gobi. Looks Great.
Can I know why you are installing inside /opt/ directory? (We need permission right.)

Gobinath
AUTHOR
June 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM delete

Hi Pranavan,
If we extract the applications in home directory, they will be available for the current user only. /opt/ directory is reserved for all the software and add-on packages that are not part of the default installation.

For more details about /opt/:

Pranavan Theivendiram
AUTHOR
June 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM delete

Cool. In my case, I am using Home directory and using the shell files to start up the program. As you said, it will be good if I use this method since other users can use it. :)

Harkediansa
AUTHOR
June 6, 2016 at 9:28 AM delete

Thanks.. it helps me a lot..

Gobinath
AUTHOR
June 8, 2016 at 8:38 AM delete

You are welcome. :-)

Azmath
AUTHOR
September 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM delete

How to install 2 versions of Intellij idea in Ubuntu?
Suppose I have IJ 14 working fine , I want to install IJ 16 and I extract it to /opt.Then when I use
"gedit intellij-idea.desktop" it opens the file which I have saved for IJ 14.

Gobinath
AUTHOR
October 4, 2016 at 7:45 PM delete

Sorry for the late response. Create the launcher using a different file name. For example, use "gedit intellij-idea-16.desktop" and continue with Step 5, 6, 7. If you prefer, use a different name and/or icon in step 5.

Contact Form